Organization Name: Open Door Mission
Mission: Open Door Mission is a Gospel Rescue Mission that meets the needs of individuals and families while inspiring HOPE for lasting change.
Funded Program Description: Daily, Open Door Mission offers 917 safe shelter beds to those experiencing homelessness, serves over 4,747 nutritious meals to feed the hungry, and provides homeless preventive resources to more than 1,000 people living in poverty to empower them to remain in their own homes.
In 2019, Open Door Mission made an impact by:
- Providing 201,698 nights of safe shelter to the homeless,
- Serving 1.74 million nutritious meals to feed the hungry,
- Empowering 35,507 individuals to remain in their own homes and prevent homelessness,
- Celebrating 52 graduates from life-changing programs,
- Diverting 602 patients experiencing homelessness from hospital emergency room visits, and
- Changing lives along with 15,261 volunteers giving 71,647 hours of their valuable time.
Open Door Mission has expanded Homeless Prevention Resources to help impoverished individuals and families remain in their own homes. Once a month, individuals are welcome to supplement their income with food, clothing, household goods, and personal items like diapers and toiletries at no cost to them. These resources help households stretch budgets, address food insecurity, and avoid homelessness.
In addition to food and shelter, Open Door Mission offers more than 40 life-changing programs to educate, rehabilitate, and empower people that are hurting and impoverished within our community.
Successes of Program or Inspirational Stories: Sarah came to Open Door Mission because of drug and alcohol addictions. Sarah said, “At Open Door Mission, I remembered that my life matters and that I am loved by God, my family and my friends. My future is bright.”
Sarah has graduated from ODM’s program and completed CNA training. She works full-time and studies at a local college to obtain her nursing license. Sarah said, “It wasn’t easy but I am so grateful for Open Door Mission. The staff believed in me and encouraged me towards my goals and my future. I really changed- I got my life back.”