Artists on the Edge and Writer’s Wordshop began over twelve years ago and are sponsored by CenterPointe, Inc. and City of Lincoln Parks and
Recreation Department, through the F Street Community Center. Today Artists on the Edge and Writer’s Wordshop provides resources and
support to artists and writers of various backgrounds and disciplines.
Artists on the Edge and Writer’s Wordshop were created in response to data collected from two separate outcome studies. The studies indicated that approximately one-third of individuals completing mental health or substance abuse treatment programs specified that throughout the course of their treatment, no attention was offered regarding their music, dance, writing, and/or artistic abilities. The overwhelming response lead to the creation of the open studio times for both programs. Since the inception of the Artists on the Edge and Writer’s WordShop, it has been noted that participants’ use of emergency services such as hospital admissions has significantly decreased
Artists on the Edge provides an opportunity for visual artists to gather while the Writer’s WordShop focuses on writers and poets work. Featuring paintings, drawings, watercolors, photographs, poetry, and even film, participants in Artists on the Edge and Writer’s Wordshop share their passion to create. Each group is open to participants within the recovery community. Artists on the Edge and Writer’s WordShop are completely funded by private grant funds and donations. Funds received provide supplies for the artist, cover the cost of mattes and frames, and sponsor one major art show each year along with four guest poets and/or community poetry readings and printing of a poetry book. In addition, working artists from the community join the open studios to facilitate each Wednesday to provide instruction, advice, and simply support to offer to the other artists and writers. Members of Artists on the Edge have also voted to contribute 25% of all proceeds from the sales of their work to the program for sustainability. The remaining 75% of the sales go directly to the artist.
The open studios for both programs are held at the F Street Community Center, 1225 F Street. The Writer’s Wordshop open studio is on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 5:00-7:00pm and the Artists on the Edge open studio is on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays, 12:00 noon-2:00pm and 5:00-7:00pm. Free transportation home is available after the evening open studios.
For more information on Artists on the Edge and Writer’s Wordshop, please contact CenterPointe at (402) 475-8717 or the F Street Community Center at (402)-441-4900. You can also follow them on Facebook at Artists on the Edge and Writer’s Wordshop.
The content contained in this website is for informational purposes only and is compiled and received from
The Kim Foundation does not endorse the resources provided and does not accept liability or responsibility for incorrect information provided.